Our Values and Ethos
Our Ethos – At Freebrough Academy Daring Greatly Learners demonstrate PRIDE.
Daring Greatly is a phase taken from this famous quote;
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; . . . who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” – Theodore Roosevelt
We recognise that having the courage to be vulnerable can transform your life by enabling creatively and innovation. We believe that win or lose, succeed or fail; we praise the efforts of those for trying rather than fearing failure and vulnerability altogether.
- Presentation – Our students strive to ensure the work they do is the best they can possibly achieve. Effectively using positive growth mind-set language in all aspects of Academy life.
- Resilience – We offer challenge to our students so that they have the opportunity to develop the qualities of grit, and determination when they are faced with challenges in their learning. Their mistakes are celebrated as part of their learning journey to success; students are encouraged to demonstrate a growth mind-set mentality.
- Independence – Our students understand that they are the driving force behind their learning journeys. They must seek out opportunities and take advantage when offered to improve, understanding going the extra mile is the key to being successful. Through these efforts they develop effective brain building behaviour.
- Drive – We promote a passion for lifelong learning through a real breadth of opportunities and enrichments to allow all students to progress successfully to the next stage in their education or career path. Again encouraging students to demonstrate grit and the willingness to go ‘above and beyond’
- Excellence –Our students are striving for excellence.
BE SAFE BE READY BE RESPECTFUL
Staff and students follow three simple rules that can be applied to aspects of Academy life. Via these rules we aim to nurture such qualities as resilience, grit and pride to inspire success and excellence in our students; who are committed to creating a sense of community, belonging and team ethos.
Freebrough Values – The journey so far…
Freebrough became a Business and Enterprise Academy. Over two years we worked in tutor time and through ‘Enterprise Days’ to look at the skills and qualities needed to enter the business world or to become an entrepreneur.
Students designed ‘Zenny Zeebrough’ our business mascot, accompanied by the hooves of enterprise.
The Sport and Health Faculty organised an enterprise day, based around creating an Olympic Village. This led to further work on the Olympic values. Students researched the seven values of: friendship, respect, excellence, determination, inspiration, courage and equality. Students created posters to show how they could use values on a daily basis both in and out of the Academy.
This led to the creation of ‘FRED ICE’ who is now Freebrough’s mascot bear.
Freebrough introduced the concept of ‘Growth Mindset’ to students. Students completed mindset questionnaires and through assemblies we looked at what how this could be applied in lessons. To take it a step further we introduced the ‘Learner Enhancement Effectiveness Programme’. Staff planned a ‘LEEP’ training day to develop students understanding of: brainology, resilience, grit and language. This provided students with the tools they needed to develop their own growth mindset and to become better learners.
Freebrough decided to review and reflect on the values that we had put in place. Students were asked to take FRED ICE on a journey to show the values in action, then using the idea of the five Olympic rings, students had to recreate the rings and place the four values that they felt were most important in the rings. For the fifth ring students had to come up with a new value that represented the Academy from 2016 onwards.
It was very difficult to choose one value as students came up with so many fantastic ideas, they had taken concepts from: LEEP, SMSC, learner qualities, and how they wanted the community to see the Academy.
One value that stood out was PRIDE, after speaking to students they felt we could merge values. So we came up with:
Presentation – of uniform, language and work
Resilience – showing grit, determination and celebrating mistakes
Independence – working hard in lessons, at tutor time and at home
Drive – having passion for learning, enrichment and the future
Excellence – attendance, progress and effort
We thought long and hard about how we bring our values together. Now they come under the umbrella of ‘Daring Greatly’.
Daring greatly students demonstrate PRIDE.