Friday 21 July 2017 – Statement from Redcar and Cleveland Council
Cleveland Police and Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council have confirmed that there has been significant progress in an investigation into allegations regarding a member of staff at a school in the local area.
Police confirmed earlier this week that a 24-year-old man from Stockton had been arrested in relation to indecent images of children.
Although national legal restrictions prevent either the member of staff or the school at which they were working being named at this point, the Police and Council have today confirmed that families identified as being potentially affected by these allegations have now received joint visits from police officers and social services staff.
During these meetings, families have been supplied with details of any allegations which might affect them and offered full support as the investigation continues.
Barbara Shaw, Director for Children and Families for Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council said:
“We appreciate that restrictions on the amount of information being released will be very frustrating for concerned parents but, as well as needing to ensure that the on- going police investigation is not prejudiced in any way, there is legislation which means that anyone disclosing certain information relating to the allegations may be charged with a criminal offence.”
“Unfortunately, these restrictions have placed the school involved in a very difficult position in dealing with this situation, but we can give assurances that these matters relate to a single member of staff and there are no on-going safeguarding concerns.”
“Whilst this is very difficult time for those families who have now received visits from our teams, we hope these actions give those parents who have not been contacted some assurance that their children are not affected and they do not need to be concerned about this investigation.”
“Further information will be released when this is legally possible. However, parents should note that staff will be unable to answer questions relating to the investigation in the meantime. ”
Detective Inspector Steve Bell said: “We’re aware that following reports in the media there will be parents with some very understandable concerns. Although we can’t say much at this stage we can confirm that an investigation is on-going in connection with indecent images of children. We can also confirm that, over the last 48 hours, we’ve spoken to a number of families in connection with this investigation. This follows the arrest of a 24-year-old man from Stockton who remains under investigation.”